EFE-Global & EuropEFE Staff Positions
Washington, DC or New York, NY
About the Organization
Education For Employment (EFE) was founded on the belief that when young people have jobs and the hope of building a future for themselves, they help lay the foundation for secure and peaceful societies. We currently operate in the Middle East and North Africa - the region with the world's highest youth unemployment rate. We are transforming the lives of young people by giving them the opportunity to work and the tools to create productive, independent livelihoods. Through unique partnerships with business, government, education, and civic leaders in our countries of operation, we design tailor-made training programs that give unemployed young people the specific skills to get and keep a job. At the end of our training programs, our graduates are placed in jobs that our partners commit before training begins. Graduates receive ongoing support through our mentoring and alumni networks.
Over the last five years, Education For Employment has enjoyed a period of rapid growth. In 2010, EFE had placed 1,000 graduates in jobs (since inception in 2006). By the end of 2015, EFE projects to have placed 10,000 youth in jobs and graduated over 30,000 young people from its various job-readiness and entrepreneurship programs. EFE has recently expanded to new countries in the Gulf region (UAE and Saudi Arabia) and in 2016 is establishing a presence in Algeria. EFE is poised for another period of rapid growth with an emphasis on quality and strengthening of the network’s affiliate institutions. The Director of Development will be an important contributor to this next strategic phase.
EFE is hiring a Director of Development to create and implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy that achieves our revenue and sustainability objectives. The Director’s primary focus will be to diversify and broaden our existing donor base, with particular emphasis on individual donors in the US and the countries in which EFE operates. The Director will be responsible for creating fundraising systems and processes that and work to build organizational and staff capacity among the Affiliates to develop enable them to significantly increase their local fundraising capacity from individual and institutional donors. The Director will report to the President and CEO.
The ideal candidate will bring a demonstrated passion for EFE’s mission and the communication skills to effectively share EFE’s impact through creative and data-driven storytelling. S/he must also demonstrate a successful record of engaging new funders resulting in major gifts. To work well in EFE’s culture, the Director must also be a collaborative team player who proactively builds relationships with colleagues and other key stakeholders. The top candidate also will possess an entrepreneurial mindset and thrive in a dynamic, fast passed, and high-growth environment.
- Strategy. Working in collaboration with the President/CEO and EFE-Global management team, develop and execute an annual development strategy for EFE-Global.
- Donor cultivation. Research, identify and cultivate new donor prospects, and successfully lead the cultivation process resulting in an award. Successfully steward existing and new donors to achieve fundraising objectives.
- Proposal & Collateral development. Working with the Program & Partnership / Communications teams, develop funding proposals and targeted collateral tailored to individual and institutional donors to achieve fundraising objectives.
- Systems. Oversee the establishment of the processes and systems (including databases and other technology solutions using Salesforce.com) to coordinate development and fundraising initiatives for individual, foundation, corporate and government grants for the US organization and the Network overall. Track fundraising activities across the Network to ensure successful donor stewardship.
- Board engagement. Engage EFE-Global Board members effectively in fundraising initiatives and successfully utilize their networks of senior private and public sector leaders in order to advance EFE’s fundraising goals. Provide training and coaching, as needed, to ensure consistency and effectiveness of fundraising messages and objectives.
- Affiliate engagement. Support Affiliates as they develop, refine and implement sustainability goals, strategies, and budgets. Obtain expert technical assistance for Affiliates to strengthen capabilities in these areas. The level of assistance will depend on each Affiliate’s needs at their particular stage of development.
- Team management. Hire and manage a staff member to support the development function.
- A passion for EFE’s mission
- Demonstrated ability to prospect, cultivate, and manage new donor relationships;
- Successful track record of fundraising with individual donors, including high net-worth individuals in the United States; international fundraising experience, particularly in MENA, a plus
- Demonstrated ability to engage senior staff, and steward relationships with institutional donors to achieve development objectives.
- Successful experience designing, developing, implementing and managing development strategies
- Familiarity with online, social media, or crowdsourcing strategies a plus
- Experience building organizational capacity (systems, processes, technology) and staff capacity (training) a plus
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial, high-growth, collaborative environment
- Ability to travel to the MENA region.
Commensurate with experience, with a competitive benefits package.
Education For Employment (EFE) is an equal opportunity employer. It is the Foundation’s policy to seek out and hire, at all levels, individuals without regard to race, religion, age, color, nationality, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or physical ability. We affirm our policy of offering equal employment opportunities to all individuals through our hiring practices.
Education For Employment (EFE) is the leading youth employment organization in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). Our vision is to empower young women and men with skills and opportunities they need to build careers that create a better future. EFE is seeking a Managing Director in the UAE regional hub office to support its next stage of growth with impact.
Operating in the region with the world’s highest youth unemployment rates, EFE pioneered market-driven skills training that leads directly to job placements, start-up support and other pathways to employment. EFE’s distinctive model has been recognized as one of the most effective global social innovations at the World Economic Forum, the Clinton Global Initiative and the World Bank. TIME, The Economist, and others have praised EFE’s work.
Since launching its first training program in 2006, EFE has established a network of locally-run EFE affiliates in Egypt, Jordan, Morocco, Palestine, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia and Yemen. They operate in collaboration with the EFE-Global hub (with offices in New York City, Washington, DC, Madrid and Dubai), which leads the EFE Network and guides its growth and impact. To date, over 11,000 youth have been placed in jobs (a unique outcome in the region) and over 30,000 youth have received entrepreneurship and career direction support. Over 2,000 partners, including Fortune 100 corporations, leading global foundations, government ministries, and education institutions engage in EFE’s work. See www.efe.org.
The Managing Director based in the UAE will advance global partnerships and individual supporters for EFE, and develop strategic partnerships for local programs in the UAE. The representative will report to the Senior Vice President for Strategy and Partnerships at EFE-Global in New York City. S/he also will work closely with the EFE Advisory Board in the UAE as well as partnership and program teams and CEOs across MENA, US and Europe.
- Build and maintain relationships with governments, foundations, corporates, and ensure proper grant management & reporting.
- Build partnerships with UAE-based regional corporations as well as international companies for youth employment, sponsorship and volunteer opportunities across the MENA region.
- Help to build a regional hub for capacity-building to EFE affiliates across MENA (EFE Network meetings, stakeholder meetings with EFE affiliates, events, press outreach, etc).
- Work closely with UAE program manager to oversee local programs
- Develop partners and clients for EFE’s advisory services and technical assistance in the UAE and Gulf.
- Develop partners for local programs in the UAE.
- Serve as a brand ambassador for EFE in the UAE.
Professional Experience / Qualifications:
The ideal candidate will have experience working in a business development role in the UAE or Gulf, have a strong local network, strong partnership-building and relationship-management skills, and the ability to identify new opportunities and write proposals to bring them to fruition. S/he will be very comfortable in a fast-paced, dynamic environment working with colleagues across the world. In addition, the candidate will have:
- A passion for and dedication to youth development and EFE’s mission.
- Results-oriented leader with a talent for building consensus and inspiring
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and inspire internal and external stakeholders
- Self-motivated and entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to work independently and with a virtual team to drive results
- Ability to travel across the MENA region
- Five-ten years of experience in an international organization or youth employment nonprofit or business
- Fluency in English and Arabic
- Postgraduate degree preferred