EFE-Global & EuropEFE Staff Positions
- Director of Development - Washington, DC or New York, NY
- EFE Internship: Communications + Partnerships>
- Strategy. Working in collaboration with the President/CEO and EFE-Global management team, develop and execute an annual development strategy for EFE-Global.
- Donor cultivation. Research, identify and cultivate new donor prospects, and successfully lead the cultivation process resulting in an award. Successfully steward existing and new donors to achieve fundraising objectives.
- Proposal & Collateral development. Working with the Program & Partnership / Communications teams, develop funding proposals and targeted collateral tailored to individual and institutional donors to achieve fundraising objectives.
- Systems. Oversee the establishment of the processes and systems (including databases and other technology solutions using Salesforce.com) to coordinate development and fundraising initiatives for individual, foundation, corporate and government grants for the US organization and the Network overall. Track fundraising activities across the Network to ensure successful donor stewardship.
- Board engagement. Engage EFE-Global Board members effectively in fundraising initiatives and successfully utilize their networks of senior private and public sector leaders in order to advance EFE’s fundraising goals. Provide training and coaching, as needed, to ensure consistency and effectiveness of fundraising messages and objectives.
- Affiliate engagement. Support Affiliates as they develop, refine and implement sustainability goals, strategies, and budgets. Obtain expert technical assistance for Affiliates to strengthen capabilities in these areas. The level of assistance will depend on each Affiliate’s needs at their particular stage of development.
- Team management. Hire and manage a staff member to support the development function.
- A passion for EFE’s mission
- Demonstrated ability to prospect, cultivate, and manage new donor relationships;
- Successful track record of fundraising with individual donors, including high net-worth individuals in the United States; international fundraising experience, particularly in MENA, a plus
- Demonstrated ability to engage senior staff, and steward relationships with institutional donors to achieve development objectives.
- Successful experience designing, developing, implementing and managing development strategies
- Familiarity with online, social media, or crowdsourcing strategies a plus
- Experience building organizational capacity (systems, processes, technology) and staff capacity (training) a plus
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial, high-growth, collaborative environment
- Ability to travel to the MENA region.
• Regional knowledge of MENA; familiarity with business and youth employment environment an added plus
• Outstanding writing skills
• Strong organization skills and high attention to detail
• Good graphic design skills, including creating effective presentations, graphs, and infographics
• Knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop a strong plus
• Fluency or familiarity in Arabic and/or French (written and spoken) are highly desirable
• Candidate should be flexible, enthusiastic, a quick learner, and able to work independently
Washington, DC or New York, NY
About the Organization
Education For Employment (EFE) was founded on the belief that when young people have jobs and the hope of building a future for themselves, they help lay the foundation for secure and peaceful societies. We currently operate in the Middle East and North Africa - the region with the world's highest youth unemployment rate. We are transforming the lives of young people by giving them the opportunity to work and the tools to create productive, independent livelihoods. Through unique partnerships with business, government, education, and civic leaders in our countries of operation, we design tailor-made training programs that give unemployed young people the specific skills to get and keep a job. At the end of our training programs, our graduates are placed in jobs that our partners commit before training begins. Graduates receive ongoing support through our mentoring and alumni networks.
Over the last five years, Education For Employment has enjoyed a period of rapid growth. In 2010, EFE had placed 1,000 graduates in jobs (since inception in 2006). By the end of 2015, EFE projects to have placed 10,000 youth in jobs and graduated over 30,000 young people from its various job-readiness and entrepreneurship programs. EFE has recently expanded to new countries in the Gulf region (UAE and Saudi Arabia) and in 2016 is establishing a presence in Algeria. EFE is poised for another period of rapid growth with an emphasis on quality and strengthening of the network’s affiliate institutions. The Director of Development will be an important contributor to this next strategic phase.
EFE is hiring a Director of Development to create and implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy that achieves our revenue and sustainability objectives. The Director’s primary focus will be to diversify and broaden our existing donor base, with particular emphasis on individual donors in the US and the countries in which EFE operates. The Director will be responsible for creating fundraising systems and processes that and work to build organizational and staff capacity among the Affiliates to develop enable them to significantly increase their local fundraising capacity from individual and institutional donors. The Director will report to the President and CEO.
The ideal candidate will bring a demonstrated passion for EFE’s mission and the communication skills to effectively share EFE’s impact through creative and data-driven storytelling. S/he must also demonstrate a successful record of engaging new funders resulting in major gifts. To work well in EFE’s culture, the Director must also be a collaborative team player who proactively builds relationships with colleagues and other key stakeholders. The top candidate also will possess an entrepreneurial mindset and thrive in a dynamic, fast passed, and high-growth environment.
Commensurate with experience, with a competitive benefits package.
Education For Employment (EFE) is an equal opportunity employer. It is the Foundation’s policy to seek out and hire, at all levels, individuals without regard to race, religion, age, color, nationality, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or physical ability. We affirm our policy of offering equal employment opportunities to all individuals through our hiring practices.
Who Are We?
At Education For Employment (EFE), we address one of the most defining issues in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA): record-high levels of youth unemployment. We create job opportunities for unemployed youth in the region by linking them to world-class job training to job placements and alumni support for continued success and civic engagement.
Working in the region with world’s highest youth unemployment rate, we have pioneered an innovative, demand-driven model for youth employment, distinctive for measuring results in job outcomes rather than training numbers alone. We operate differently from most nonprofits in the region: our model is to co-create locally-run non-profit organizations or affiliates in each country of operation, led by local business and civil society leaders who have the leverage, insight, and credibility to initiate sustainable change in their societies. Right now, there are EFE affiliates in Egypt, Jordan, Morocco, Palestine, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia and Yemen, and they’re supported by our hub offices in Washington DC, New York City, Madrid, and Dubai.
Thanks to this model and the results it has achieved, EFE is recognized as one of the world’s leading social enterprises by the World Economic Forum, United Nations, Clinton Global Initiative (CGI), and media outlets like The Economist, The Financial Times, The New York Times, TIME Magazine, Bloomberg, Barrons, The BBC, Al Jazeera, Harvard Business Review and numerous others.
What’s the Opportunity?
We look for outstanding Communications & Partnerships Interns on a rolling basis for three-month internships, with the possibility of extension based on performance.
Past intern projects include: managing EFE social media accounts; designing key marketing pieces; drafting marketing copy and collateral; media monitoring and pitch-drafting; editing films for screenings at major events including CGI; interviewing EFE graduates and writing success stories; creating short films on EFE’s work; aggregating photos and quotes from EFE’s operations across the MENA region for use in targeted communications, and other tasks. Partnerships-oriented projects include targeted research on donor and funder prospects; relationship and contact tracking; creation of tailored outreach documents for current funders, and other tasks.
We are a small organization, and our interns “get their hands dirty” through meaningful professional experience and constructive feedback. We take intern skills-learning seriously, and our interns develop a portfolio of work to support their future professional endeavors.
Who Is a Good Fit?
• Bachelor’s degree (completed or in progress) with interest and experience in international development, MENA, social enterprise, economics, nonprofit development, communications, or organizational strategy.
What Else Should You Know?
Internships are unpaid, with no stipends available.
The Communications & Partnerships Intern(s) will work closely with our Senior Manager for Communications & Partnerships, currently based in Cairo. For this reason, the internship can be completed remotely and on flexible timing, though inters are welcome to complete their internship at our EFE offices in NYC or Washington, DC, if desired. Internships range from for 8-20 hours per week, based on the availability and other commitments of interns.
Education For Employment (EFE) is an equal employment opportunity employer. It is EFE’s policy to seek out and hire, at all levels, individuals without regard to race, religion, age, color, nationality, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or physical ability. We affirm our policy of offering equal employment opportunities to all individuals through our employment practices.
How Do You Apply?