EFE-Global & EuropEFE Staff Positions
- MENA Region Communications Associate - Cairo, Egypt
- Senior Manager of Finance and Sub-award Compliance - Washington DC
- Program Manager - Washington DC
- Director of Development - Washington, DC or New York, NY
Request for Proposal (RFP)
Deadline: May 10, 2017
The mission of Education For Employment (EFE) is to create job opportunities for unemployed youth in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) by linking world-class job training to job placements and alumni support for continued success and civic engagement. EFE is pioneering an innovative, demand-driven model for youth employment, distinctive in the region for measuring results by job outcomes rather than training numbers alone. Another distinctive feature of EFE’s model is to co-create locally-run non-profit organizations (“EFE Affiliates”) in each country of operation with local business and civil society leaders who have the leverage, insight, and credibility to create sustainable change in their own societies. EFE Affiliates are currently located in Egypt, Jordan, Palestine, Yemen, Morocco, Tunisia, and Saudi Arabia, with a regional hub the United Arab Emirates. See www.efe.org.
The Project: Expectations and Level of Commitment
EFE is dedicated to ongoing monitoring and evaluation to gauge the impact of its programs on the lives of young people in the MENA. We believe that evaluation is key to ensuring EFE’s continued success as the number of youth receiving our services increases, enabling EFE to scale with impact and quality.
With an aim toward expanding EFE’s exploration and understanding of program impact and the mechanisms by which EFE programs create change in young people’s lives, EFE seeks an evaluation consultant (individual or firm) to produce a methodologically sound qualitative evaluation of EFE’s core programs. The evaluation should utilize a multiple case studies design that employs significant cross-case synthesis and is descriptive and explanatory in nature, documents and analyzes program effects, and compares observed results against EFE’s theory of change, forming hypotheses to explain any divergent results. The evaluation should also seek to understand and capture the long-term impact that EFE’s programs have had on the life trajectories, career opportunities, and economic wellbeing of youth and their immediate family members. The evaluation should provide actionable recommendations regarding approaches to improve future programming.
Learnings about trends and youth attitudes and behaviors gained through this initiative will be shared with other stakeholders in the youth economic opportunities space with the intention of contributing to improved approaches to addressing related challenges. EFE is committed to building on its current processes of sharing EFE alumni success stories with stakeholders to improve overall understanding of program outcomes, what works, and why. The consultant will be responsible for identifying platforms for dissemination of evaluation results.
Project deliverables will include:
- A detailed report of the evaluation findings that includes case studies of 12 youth who graduated from EFE programs in Egypt, Jordan, and Tunisia (4 in each country). Gender balance, rural/urban representation, and length of time since graduation from EFE programs should be considered in case selection. Participants should have graduated from EFE programs at least one year in the past.
- Profiles of the youth that outline their experiences with EFE programs and the impact that the programs have had on their lives and families. Profiles should be stand-alone documents that complement the evaluation findings presented in the formal report.
- Contents of the case study database produced during the data collection phase.
The consultancy will help EFE to address the following questions, among others:
- What are the long-term impacts on youth and their families of graduating from EFE programs?
- How have EFE’s youth employment training programs affected youth’s ability to secure and retain jobs?
- How have EFE’s programs affected youths’ economic wellbeing?
- What steps can EFE take to improve service delivery and impact?
The project is expected to begin in June 2017 and run for four months.
- Desk review of EFE’s evaluation and performance documents
- One-on-one interviews/meetings with EFE stakeholders, including youth, employers, and EFE Affiliate staff on site in EFE countries
- Completion of 12 case studies of EFE graduates in Egypt, Tunisia, and Jordan (4 in each country), utilizing a multiple case studies design that is both descriptive and explanatory in nature
Please submit a budget that includes travel and any other costs related to the project. The budget should include a breakdown of cost components including rate(s) and number of hours estimated for the individual consultant or team members. Travel expenses should include the cost of airfare, per diems, hotels, ground transport, visas, and any other expenses.
- Experience in conducting qualitative evaluations in the Middle East and North Africa
- Experience with youth employment programs in the Middle East and North Africa a plus
- Fluency in English and Arabic required, French strongly preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to manage key stakeholders meetings and contacts
- Cost competitiveness of proposal
After an initial shortlist, candidates will be interviewed in person or through VC.
Education For Employment (EFE) is the leading youth employment organization in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). Our vision is to empower young women and men with skills and opportunities they need to build careers that create a better future.
Operating in the region with the world’s highest youth unemployment rates, we pioneered market-driven skills training for youth that link them directly to job opportunities and the world of work. EFE’s distinctive model has been recognized as one of the world’s most effective social innovations at the World Economic Forum, UN and the World Bank. Arabian Business, The Economist, Harvard Business Review, and many more have praised EFE’s work.
Since launching its first training program in 2006, we have established a network of locally-run EFE affiliates in Egypt, Jordan, Morocco, Palestine, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia and Yemen, along with “global hub” support offices in the USA, UAE, and Europe. Read more about EFE’s work in Egypt (www.efeegypt.org) and regionally (www.efe.org).
The Regional Communications Associate will focus on projects related to all EFE affiliates across the MENA region, and will lead initiatives with teams from each of these countries, as well as with some of the 2,000+ companies that partner with EFE.
The MENA Region Communications Associate based at EFE|Egypt will support projects that build the EFE brand across MENA through a range of platforms and mediums. The Communications Associate will coordinate important visibility projects; co-develop a regional social media strategy and manage the EFE brand on social media and digital platforms; draft and design marketing outreach, and support on additional communications initiatives and events.
The Associate will report to the Senior Manager for Communications and Partnerships. S/he also will work closely with staff of EFE affiliates in eight MENA countries, the USA, and Europe, as well as with staff of MBC, an EFE partner and the leading broadcast company in the Middle East.
Professional Experience / Qualifications:
The ideal candidate will have experience working in a communications role in an international organization, excellent written and oral English and Arabic, and strong social media marketing and design skills. S/he will be a reliable self-starter who is very comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with colleagues across the world. In addition, the candidate will have:
- Written and spoken fluency in English and Arabic (Fusha and Ameyya)
- Design (Adobe Suite), photography and video editing skills
- Experience using social media for professional purposes
- Experience in PR, website development, translation
- A passion for and dedication to youth development and EFE’s mission
- Strong work ethic and ability to work independently
- A detail-oriented and organized workstyle
- Patience, perseverance, and a sense of humor
- Experience as a volunteer, intern or employee at an NGO or international organization
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Reports to: Director of Finance, Compliance and Administration
Summary of Position:
The Senior Manager will report to the Director of Finance, Compliance and Administration, and will manage the day to day implementation of finance and sub-awardee compliance activities for the organization. The Senior Manager will supervise the Finance, Grants and Administrative Associate, and conduct assessments of and provide capacity building support to affiliate organizations. Position is to be based in Washington, D.C.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support accounting and finance operations and ensure that established financial policies and procedures are properly implemented and financial operations are in accordance with donor rules and regulations and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Contribute to the formation and implementation of financial and administrative policies and procedures, including manuals and forms.
- Review and evaluate all proposed budgets, both internal and from affiliates and prospective grantees, and provide financial advice to program staff.
- Review cash advance requests and arrange for timely and effective transfer of financial resources between EFE Global and sub-awardees to support program activities.
- Ensure contract and grant payments/advances are made in accordance with contract/grant agreements, and all supporting documentation is complete.
- Oversee the acceptance of project costs and related invoicing, including periodic review of invoices, to ensure strict adherence with the donor regulations, as applicable.
- Develop updated reporting documents to meet internal and board stakeholder needs and regularly implement to enhance decision making.
- Ensure donors and relevant staff receive timely and accurate financial information.
- Oversee procurement (market research, negotiation memoranda, purchase memos, cost and price analysis, file maintenance, contracts, etc.).
- Supervise Finance, Grants and Administrative Associate.
Contracts and Grants Management
- Implement systems to track and monitor finance related award terms and conditions to ensure compliance with donor requirements.
- Work closely with program staff regarding approvals, deliverables, and information collection as it relates to existing awards.
- Draft subcontracts and sub-awards to conform to Prime Award terms and conditions.
- Develop and deploy grant and contract tools and systems to support compliance and grant management.
- Review funder agreements and identify and negotiate areas of concern.
- Upgrade systems to maintain permanent files including prime and sub-award documents regarding funding or other terms and conditions.
- Assist with research on compliance related questions and provide guidance and training to staff on contract and grant administration compliance issues.
- Assist with drafting and interpretation of internal policies and procedures regarding compliance under contracts, grants, and co-operative agreements.
- Ensure compliance with sub-award management manuals and templates, conduct sub-award pre-award assessments, and regularly update post-award monitoring checklists.
- Participate in project launch and close-out activities.
Support to Affiliates and Sub-awardees
- Support standardization projects across the network, including financial policies, procedures, systems, processes, and documentation to comply with donor regulations and international best practice.
- Provide training to affiliate staff on implementation of best practice across a broad range of financial areas.
- Assist affiliates with major financial projects such as deployment of new accounting platforms.
- Train affiliate staff on donor and internal financial requirements and constraints.
- Assist affiliates in the preparation of board or other financial materials with a third party audience.
- Recommend and support the deployment of new technologies to support financial management across the network.
- Provide research and training on compliance related questions from affiliates.
- Provide guidance on contract and grant administration compliance issues.
- Support affiliates in procurement including RFP review, oversight of major procurements, and assistance with preparation of contracts with vendors.
- Identify training plans and areas for support for affiliates through the development and deployment of a capacity assessment tool.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or closely related field with 7 years relevant work experience or Master’s Degree with 5 years relevant work experience;
- Experiential knowledge of FAR, AIDAR, ADS, and relevant OMB circulars;
- Experience working on financial, administrative, and compliance management in a multi-funder environment including US government and private foundation grants and contracts;
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills;
- Prior experience in proposal budget preparation and understanding of different pricing models and financial presentation;
- Willingness to travel to affiliate offices in the Middle East and North Africa as needed (approximately 30% time);
- Demonstrated ability to effectively to work with a diverse team, with attention to mentorship and professional development of staff;
- Self-motivated and organized with attention to detail;
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills.
- Knowledge of Arabic and/or French required;
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize assignments, and meet multiple deadlines; and,
- Previous experience with international nonprofit organization is required.
Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship.
Location: Washington, DC
About Education for Employment
Education For Employment (EFE) is the leading youth employment organization in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). Our vision is to empower young women and men with skills and opportunities they need to build careers that create a better future.
Operating in the region with the world’s highest youth unemployment rates, we pioneered market-driven skills training for youth that links them directly to job opportunities and the world of work. EFE’s distinctive model has been recognized as one of the world’s most effective social innovations at the World Economic Forum, UN and the World Bank. Arabian Business, The Economist, Harvard Business Review, and many more have praised EFE’s work. Read more about EFE’s work at www.efe.org.
EFE is a network of locally-run, affiliated non-profit organizations working in the Middle East and North Africa. Since inception in 2006, EFE established affiliated non-profit organizations in seven countries in the MENA region (Egypt, Jordan, Morocco, Palestine, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Yemen), with global support hubs in the United States, Spain, and the UAE, and a presence in Algeria. Each EFE affiliate is a locally registered non-profit organization managed by local staff and governed by a local board of directors made up of accomplished professionals and leaders from various sectors.
EFE’s global team provide programmatic, fundraising, strategic and capacity building support to its affiliates. The relationship between the EFE-Global team and EFE’s affiliates in the MENA region is not a “headquarters / field office” relationship, rather, a partnership relationship between independent non-profit organizations affiliated with each other through EFE’s global network.
Program Manager Responsibilities
The Program Manager is senior member of the Washington, DC based global program team, and reports to the Vice President of Programs and Affiliate Services. Program Managers work in close partnership with EFE affiliates in the MENA region and provide programmatic, strategic, capacity building and fundraising support. Given EFE’s affiliate structure, the partnership between EFE’s global program team and senior affiliate staff members is paramount. As the one of the primary points of contact with EFE affiliates, Program Managers are expected to demonstrate excellent personal, professional and relationship management skills, taking into consideration the context in which EFE affiliates operate, and their organizational development stage.
This is a full time position based in Washington, DC. As a senior member of the program team, the Program Manager is also expected to contribute to EFE’s overall program development and independently initiate and manage special projects outside the country specific scope of their responsibilities as needed. The Program Manager will also supervise a Program Associate and together, work as a team in partnership with EFE affiliates to insure the achievement of programmatic and organizational objectives.
Qualification, Skill and Knowledge Requirements
- Five or more years’ experience in program management and implementation in the non-profit or private sectors.
- Outstanding project management skills. Proven ability to set priorities, work independently and take initiative, manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Excellent writing skills. Demonstrated ability to draft proposals, reports, results of research or other organizational documents with minimal supervision.
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills. Ability to professionally engage and work with key EFE stakeholders in various settings including affiliate leadership and staff, donors, peer organizations and other key stakeholders in the US and the MENA region.
- Experience managing staff and working in a team oriented manner to achieve program objectives.
- French language skills strongly preferred.
- USAID proposal development, grant writing and / or reporting experience strongly preferred.
- Middle East & North Africa regional expertise a plus.
- Marketing or communications skills a plus.
- Availability and willingness to travel to the MENA region as necessary to advance EFE’s objectives.
The following qualities are essential to all applicants:
- High energy individual who demonstrates flexibility in work priorities, capable of multi-tasking and operating efficiently and effectively across multiple areas of responsibility.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and has a “do what it takes” mentality in order to achieve EFE’s objectives.
- Demonstrated capacity to exercise independent judgment and sound decision-making in the midst of diverse and complex organizational environments.
- Flexibility and willingness to take initiative.
- Strong team orientation, relationship-building and negotiation skills, and ability to collaborate with diverse groups of people.
- Quick learner and self-starter with a high degree of intellectual curiosity.
- Positive energy and attitude.
- A passion for EFE’s mission.
Compensation: Commensurate with achievement, experience, and salary history. EFE offers full health and vacation benefits.
Please put “Program Manager” in the subject line of your email.
**No phone calls please**
Education For Employment (EFE) is an equal employment opportunity employer. It is the Foundation's policy to seek out and hire, at all levels, individuals without regard to race, religion, age, color, nationality, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or physical ability. We affirm our policy of offering equal employment opportunities to all individuals through our employment practices.
Washington, DC or New York, NY
About the Organization
Education For Employment (EFE) was founded on the belief that when young people have jobs and the hope of building a future for themselves, they help lay the foundation for secure and peaceful societies. We currently operate in the Middle East and North Africa - the region with the world's highest youth unemployment rate. We are transforming the lives of young people by giving them the opportunity to work and the tools to create productive, independent livelihoods. Through unique partnerships with business, government, education, and civic leaders in our countries of operation, we design tailor-made training programs that give unemployed young people the specific skills to get and keep a job. At the end of our training programs, our graduates are placed in jobs that our partners commit before training begins. Graduates receive ongoing support through our mentoring and alumni networks.
Over the last five years, Education For Employment has enjoyed a period of rapid growth. In 2010, EFE had placed 1,000 graduates in jobs (since inception in 2006). By the end of 2015, EFE projects to have placed 10,000 youth in jobs and graduated over 30,000 young people from its various job-readiness and entrepreneurship programs. EFE has recently expanded to new countries in the Gulf region (UAE and Saudi Arabia) and in 2016 is establishing a presence in Algeria. EFE is poised for another period of rapid growth with an emphasis on quality and strengthening of the network’s affiliate institutions. The Director of Development will be an important contributor to this next strategic phase.
EFE is hiring a Director of Development to create and implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy that achieves our revenue and sustainability objectives. The Director’s primary focus will be to diversify and broaden our existing donor base, with particular emphasis on individual donors in the US and the countries in which EFE operates. The Director will be responsible for creating fundraising systems and processes that and work to build organizational and staff capacity among the Affiliates to develop enable them to significantly increase their local fundraising capacity from individual and institutional donors. The Director will report to the President and CEO.
The ideal candidate will bring a demonstrated passion for EFE’s mission and the communication skills to effectively share EFE’s impact through creative and data-driven storytelling. S/he must also demonstrate a successful record of engaging new funders resulting in major gifts. To work well in EFE’s culture, the Director must also be a collaborative team player who proactively builds relationships with colleagues and other key stakeholders. The top candidate also will possess an entrepreneurial mindset and thrive in a dynamic, fast passed, and high-growth environment.
- Strategy. Working in collaboration with the President/CEO and EFE-Global management team, develop and execute an annual development strategy for EFE-Global.
- Donor cultivation. Research, identify and cultivate new donor prospects, and successfully lead the cultivation process resulting in an award. Successfully steward existing and new donors to achieve fundraising objectives.
- Proposal & Collateral development. Working with the Program & Partnership / Communications teams, develop funding proposals and targeted collateral tailored to individual and institutional donors to achieve fundraising objectives.
- Systems. Oversee the establishment of the processes and systems (including databases and other technology solutions using Salesforce.com) to coordinate development and fundraising initiatives for individual, foundation, corporate and government grants for the US organization and the Network overall. Track fundraising activities across the Network to ensure successful donor stewardship.
- Board engagement. Engage EFE-Global Board members effectively in fundraising initiatives and successfully utilize their networks of senior private and public sector leaders in order to advance EFE’s fundraising goals. Provide training and coaching, as needed, to ensure consistency and effectiveness of fundraising messages and objectives.
- Affiliate engagement. Support Affiliates as they develop, refine and implement sustainability goals, strategies, and budgets. Obtain expert technical assistance for Affiliates to strengthen capabilities in these areas. The level of assistance will depend on each Affiliate’s needs at their particular stage of development.
- Team management. Hire and manage a staff member to support the development function.
- A passion for EFE’s mission
- Demonstrated ability to prospect, cultivate, and manage new donor relationships;
- Successful track record of fundraising with individual donors, including high net-worth individuals in the United States; international fundraising experience, particularly in MENA, a plus
- Demonstrated ability to engage senior staff, and steward relationships with institutional donors to achieve development objectives.
- Successful experience designing, developing, implementing and managing development strategies
- Familiarity with online, social media, or crowdsourcing strategies a plus
- Experience building organizational capacity (systems, processes, technology) and staff capacity (training) a plus
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial, high-growth, collaborative environment
- Ability to travel to the MENA region.
Commensurate with experience, with a competitive benefits package.
Education For Employment (EFE) is an equal opportunity employer. It is the Foundation’s policy to seek out and hire, at all levels, individuals without regard to race, religion, age, color, nationality, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or physical ability. We affirm our policy of offering equal employment opportunities to all individuals through our hiring practices.